January 28, 2012

Wallowing or Contributing

Braden wallowing ... Cute even when he's mad!!


I've been slightly addicted lately to reading the blog that I recently posted about called Momastery.  Sometimes her posts are a quite heavy for me but yesterday I came across this and loved it.  She writes so eloquently what I think but cannot seem to put into words.

"When you start to feel . . . do. For example – 


When you start to feel scared because you don’t have enough money….find someone to give a little money to. 


When you start to feel like you don’t have enough love. . . find someone to offer love. 


When you feel unappreciated, unacknowledged . . . appreciate and acknowledge someone in your life in a concrete way. 


When you feel unlucky, order yourself to consider a blessing or two. And then find a tangible way to make today somebody else’s lucky day. 


This strategy helps me sidestep wallowing every day."


Isn't that fantastic?  I read it yesterday so I can't say that I've tried it but how can one wallow in self-pity when you are giving to others.  It takes the focus off of us and puts it onto others which is where it should be.  I love this and think even my children could benefit from it...


If they are feeling like they don't have any toys... they could go through the multitudes and pick out some to donate.


If they are feeling sad or angry... they can think of an act of kindness to do for someone like draw a picture of something that makes them happy and deliver it to a friend or neighbor.


If they are feeling bored... they can walk around and find three things they'd like to do now and three things they'd like to do next time they have a friend over. Then they can get down and busy with those three things and afterwards we can call and schedule a play date.


Obviously we all need to feel.  Feelings are present to help us feel alive, grow and be compassionate and I think that "feeling" is a really important and incredible part of life.  However after feeling for a short bit I think it is absolutely necessary to pick up and move on and I think Glennon from Momastery is on to something here!


My challenge this week and I pose this to all of you as well... Try it!



No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails